One of the biggest challenges facing CBD producers is its low water solubility. Cannabinoids are fat-soluble, so they don’t dissolve well in water, making them difficult to administer and absorb. Also, CBD is a hydrophobic molecule that doesn’t mix well with other substances, further reducing its bioavailability. This problem has been a significant hurdle for the CBD industry, as low bioavailability means products have low potency and don’t work as well as they could. A solution that’s expanding involves nanotechnology and CBD.
How Does Water-Soluble CBD Work?
It does not dissolve in water, making it challenging to administer and absorb. This situation makes it difficult for the body to digest and use CBD. Enter nanoemulsion technology.
Nanoemulsion is a process formulated to increase the bioavailability of hydrophobic or water-insoluble molecules. The technique involves tiny droplets of oil that are suspended in water.
These tiny droplets are so small that they can dissolve fast in the water, making them more bioavailable to the body. Your customers can absorb and use products more effectively than traditional CBD tinctures, gummies, topicals, and capsules. Also, they’ll experience the results faster.
Understanding Nanotechnology and CBD
Nanotechnology is the technology of tiny things. There are plenty of examples of nanostructures in the natural world around us. But how small is small? The hairs on your arm measure about 100 nanometers across. A strand of DNA is 50 nanometers in diameter. The average virus, by comparison, varies from 17nm to 500nm.
A 2014 article in Drug Development & Delivery explains,
“Furthermore, emulsions with droplet sizes below 100nm have the added benefit of aiding the drug to penetrate epithelial mucosal layers such as in the eye, skin, nasal, lung, GI tract, tumor, blood-vein, and blood-brain barriers.”
This advantage explains how products developed with nanoemulsion technology absorb easier, work faster, and offer better results than traditional ones. Research shows the most effective products deliver particle sizes under 50nm.
Another way the technology benefits the user is by uniform delivery of all ingredients. The nanoemulsion process stabilizes emulsions, keeping all ingredients suspended in water. This means that all the components remain in suspension and dissolve evenly. No matter how you take your CBD, you’re guaranteed to get the same dose of active ingredients in every serving.
Nanotechnology has captured the imagination of scientists and entrepreneurs. One emerging application is a CBD formula developed with nanoemulsion technology, which breaks the molecules down into tiny droplets. These particles are so small that the body can easily digest and absorb them.
What Other Industries Use Nanoemulsion?
The pharmaceutical industry has been using nanoemulsion technology for many years to improve the absorption of drugs into the body.
Nanoemulsion also plays a significant role in health care and immune function by enhancing the effectiveness of vaccines. A 2020 study published in the International Journal of Nanomedicine concluded,
“Instead, the effective particle size is within a certain range, and particles in this range are easier for the immune system to identify and present. A nanoemulsion system with appropriate particle size and effective particle uniformity guarantees the stimulation of a strong immune response.”
The cosmetic market also uses nanoemulsion technology to increase the penetration of oils, vitamins, and water-insoluble active ingredients into the skin. A major sector of the tiny tech is food. Many brands find nanoemulsions excellent for covering the unpleasant taste of oily liquids.
A study published in March 2021,
“The hydrophilic and hydrophobic molecular groups in emulsifiers contribute to immiscibility of the formulated liquids, which then lead to much-enhanced homogeneity and stability in the final products as found in butter, mayonnaise, dressings, chocolates, ketchup, and yogurts (2019). Emulsifiers have been estimated to constitute more than 70% of the world’s approved food ingredients (2017), necessitating the importance and use of nanosized emulsifiers in this century.”
A report from Financial News Media suggests the nanoemulsion market will exceed $4.5 billion in sales by 2026.
What are the Advantages and Disadvantages of Water Soluble CBD?
- Better bioavailability means that customers are more likely to benefit from CBD products.
- Customers should experience increased effectiveness and enhanced effects compared to other products.
- Water-soluble CBD provides a significant reduction in onset time—No more waiting an hour for results.
- The water-soluble CBD is more versatile than traditional formulations, which are oil-based and are difficult to mix with other substances.
- For easy consumption, you can add CBD to other products, such as food and drinks.
- Consumers can use less of the product for the same response.
- At present, there is little published research on this technology, which makes it challenging to know the long-term effects of water-soluble CBD. But there are extensive studies on nanoemulsion in other industries.
- Nanoemulsion technology is still in its early stages and is not yet widely available. CBD producers interested in using this technology will need to find a supplier who can provide it. CannGoods is your white label wholesaler for water-soluble CBD.
- Price. Customers who buy water-soluble CBD products will pay more than they would for traditional oils.
- Nanoemulsions can destabilize if not stored right. Business owners adding water-soluble products need to be careful with storage and exposure to heat, which degrades the ingredients.
Water-soluble CBD is a new technology that has the potential to be game-changing for everyone in the industry. With nanoemulsion, customers experience increased effectiveness and enhanced effects compared with other products on the market. Add water-soluble CBD to your product line to help you stand out from competitors by providing better bioavailability of your product or service. Whether you’re looking to improve customer satisfaction, reduce costs, increase profitability, or any combination thereof—water-soluble CBD may be just what you need. If this sounds like something up your alley, but it seems too complicated for even an expert team to tackle alone—don’t worry! We’re here for you every step of the way as we work together towards success.